When I got married, my single friends stopped hanging out with me. I was offended at first, but then I realized they thought they were just being polite – not wanting to disturb the newlyweds. I tried to make it clear that I needed interaction outside of my husband but it was hard to break that mindset for many friends, especially those who knew me before I was married. Since moving to Texas where people only know me by my married name, we were able to establish an open door policy. Our friends easily make themselves at home in our apartment.
However, now that there’s a baby, our door has been mostly closed. Even after announcing the pregnancy, our social lives diminished (only partially due to the fact that I was so exhausted!). Many things have changed (see “Babies Change Everything”), but my desire for adult interaction hasn’t. If anything, it has increased. I still enjoy game night, going to the movies or just a good old fashioned chat session. Even if I need to take care of baby simultaneously, I can still play a mean game of Scrabble. So please, don’t be a stranger. As cute as My Little Talker’s babbles are, she hasn’t quite learned to quote Billy Madison yet.
No comments:
Post a Comment