Monday, July 18, 2011

Stuck in a Moment I Can't Get Out Of/Don't Wake Baby!

As of writing this in May, Baby Girl hasn't quite reached the stage yet where she is okay napping on her own. She needs to be cuddled the whole time or she'll wake up. She's gradually getting better and better and I've been able to risk setting her down for the sake of doing something else relaxing (see "Not Sleeping"). However, on the days (which are very often) when she goes down with a fight, there is not a single thing I will do to risk waking that child back up. I will go hungry, thirsty, bored. I will risk ruining my bladder by holding it before I'll risk ruining nap time. I will not move a muscle. There have been times when my water bottle is within sight but not reach and I just have to stare at it until either Sleeping Beauty wakes naturally or my husband comes home. It might seem drastic, but anytime I think "nah, she'll be fine" she instantly wakes up and throws a fit. My whole day is now shot because I reached for the remote.
This is where my iPhone comes in. With one small device in my hand, I can email, check facebook, take and post photos, play word games, read CNN, listen to music (often lullabies to keep baby asleep), read parenting advice (see "Conflicting Advice"), text Andrew to tell him how thirsty I am and can he plleeeeeasse hurry up, or get on IMDB to figure out who that guest star is on BH 90210 (It was a teenage Jessica Alba today!).

2 comments:

  1. I hold TIH when he's sleeping.
    Still.
    I know you're not supposed to. And at daycare, he takes all of his naps in a pack and play or on a bouncer. But, when he's home with me - I love holding him while he naps. He's going to be too big for it soon and when that day comes I will thank myself for those naps.

    Though - you're right. Yesterday I thought my bladder was going to explode so eventually I just had to wake him up. Which he was NOT happy about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol...I died laughing because this is soooo true. That should be the next iPhone ad -- a mom NOT going crazy because friends and the world are at our fingertips while holding a sleeping baby!

    ReplyDelete