Sunday, January 1, 2012

twenty dozen

Since people have referred to 2012 as “twenty-dozen” I thought I’d use that as inspiration for my resolutions. So I came up with 240 (20*12) things I wanted to make sure happen this year:


2012 Resolutions


-Take a photography class


-See at least 1 new MLB stadium


-Perform a script on stage at least once


-Get my hair cut at least 3 times


-Buy 5 new CDs


-Walk a 5k


-Attend at least 5 extra-curricular events at my school (dance, concert)


-Attend at least 10 youth events (at least 1 overnight)


-Complete 10 photo projects (at least 5 new ones I’ve not done before)


-Go 10 places I’ve never been before


-Send a dozen greeting cards in the mail to family/friends


-Have an entire day with no plans at least once a month


-Go to the movies at least once a month


-Update photos on Facebook at least once a month


-Write at least 20 blog posts


-Read 20 books (at least 5 nonfiction)


-Memorize 20 Scripture verses


-Finish 20 You Version Bible mini-plans


-Eliminate 25% of our debt


-Write a thank you note to a coworker once a week during the school year (36)



I finalized the list this morning during (I mean, after, of course) the Sermon titled “A Plan to be Spiritually Fit in 2012.” Only a few of the things have to do specifically with the things our pastor suggested (reading the Bible, serving in our church, etc), but they will all in some way help me grow in my faith.

My life motto for the past few years has been based on John 10:10 “I have come that they may have life and have it to the full.” Jesus doesn’t want us to live passively; He wants us to live passionately. There are desires He has given me in my heart that if I don’t actively pursue, I am not honoring Him and His calling for me. Taking photos, performing on stage, writing, reading, building relationships - these are things that if I don’t make a plan to do, they won’t get done. When they don’t happen, there’s an empty part of me that longs to be fulfilled. When we allow ourselves to get bogged down by the things in life that don’t edify us in any way, we are allowing “the thief” to come and destroy (the first part of John 10:10) our soul, robbing it of what it needs to Thrive.

You may not need to write out 20 items totaling 240 (only weird Type-A people thrive from a big to-do list), but I want to challenge you to think of ways you can live out John 10:10 this year. What has God placed in your heart? What plan do you need to put in place to pursue those? Are there things in your life that are robbing you of joy and satisfaction? How can 2012 be the year you set those aside and persevere to accomplish your heart’s desires (Hebrews 12:1)?

No comments:

Post a Comment